Skip to content

What should I do if I have a fall at work and/or experience some type of occupational injury?

If you suffer an occupational injury, report it immediately to your supervisor, usually the vice-principal in charge of health and safety, by completing a WorkSafeBC Form 6A (Worker’s Report of Injury or Occupational Disease to Employer). The injury should also be reported to the site-based Occupational First Aid Attendant prior to leaving the workplace. The first aid book should be completed by the First attendant as per OH&S regulation 3.19. If an initial injury is not immediately reported to WorkSafeBC, the employee will lose entitlement to WCB coverage.

The forms are available at the school or can be downloaded from On both pages of the Form 6A write the following: “The worker requests a copy of the employer’s report be sent to the Workers’ Compensation Board.” This note is necessary because many school boards, including the VBE, do not forward accident reports unless the employee takes time off work as a result of the accident. You should also make a copy of the Form 6A and forward it to the VSTA office and keep a copy for yourself. If the VSTA is not aware of the injury report, we cannot effectively advocate on your behalf if that becomes necessary.

In addition, you must also complete the WorkSafeBC Form 6: APPLICATION FOR COMPENSATION AND REPORT OF INJURY OR OCCUPATIONAL DISEASE”. Form 6 can be completed online through Teleclaim