VSTA Annual General Meeting
TUESDAY, MAY 16, 2017
4pm at Tupper Auditorium
In anticipation of our upcoming AGM we would like to encourage any and all interested VSTA members to consider nominations for next year’s Executive Committee. These hard working members provide union representation at the school, district and provincial level. Check out the “job description” below and see if you, or someone you know, might be a great fit for this upcoming opportunity! The deadline for nominations and candidate statements is April 21. Click here for a nomination form.
Members will also receive financial reports ended July 31, 2016, vote to approve the Association’s operating budget 2017-18, appoint the auditors, vote to approve Constitutional changes and, perhaps most importantly, elect the VSTA Executive Committee and In-House Table Officers for 2017-18.
Door prizes will be presented at the end of the meeting, followed by a social hour in the staffroom. We look forward to seeing you at the meeting!
VSTA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBER DESCRIPTION
This volunteer position is open to any VSTA member. The Executive Committee provides advice to the In-House Table Officers (President/Vice-Presidents) and takes on an active leadership role. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to gain more insight into the workings of their local union and the school board. You may serve as a Treasurer, Local Representative, chair one of the VSTA standing committees (Pro-D, Health & Safety, Working & Learning Conditions/Bargaining, Social & Environmental Justice, Technology), be a Member-at-Large or a TTOC Rep.
We ask for the following commitments: attending three Thursday evening meetings a month, going to one annual weekend retreat (usually the 3rd week of September), willingness to attend the BCTF AGM during Spring Break (starts on a Saturday afternoon and ends on the following Tuesday afternoon), sitting on VSB Advisory Committees as well as attending SURT days during the year.
VSTA In House Table Officer Description (President/Vice-President)
- Member services – Collective Agreement information, discipline, Health & Wellness
- Liaising with Board staff – Human Resources, Labour Relations, Senior Management
- Collective Agreement – enforcement and interpretation, grievances and arbitrations
- Liaising with the BCTF – BCTF AGM, BCTF RA, Federation Leadership Institute, Zone Meetings
- Planning SURTs & Executive Committee Retreat
- Supporting Staff Reps & Executive Committee members (especially chairs of Standing Committees)
- Creating Executive Committee & Council agenda
- Communications with members
- Managing office staff
- Managing the building
- Office hours (8:30-4:30/9:00-5:00)
- Evening meetings (Executive, Council, Board & Committee meetings)
- Weekend meetings (BCTF Functions & Executive Retreat)
Ability to balance big picture with details, willingness to listen and function well as part of a team, skilled at creating and maintaining professional relationships, good at seeing connections that lead to thinking ahead and predicting, flexibility and taking initiative.