Skip to content

Retiring this year?


  • Contact the Teachers’ Pension Plan at 1-800-665-6770 for a Retirement Application Package. Send the completed application form to the TPP no later than the end of the month in which the pension is to start (preferably at least two months earlier) to ensure prompt pension payment.
  • Contact VBE payroll to find out when your current health benefits end to ensure you have continuous coverage until the benefits associated with the Teachers’ Pension Plan begin.
  • Consider converting your current group life insurance to an individual life insurance policy.
  • Join the BC Retired Teachers’ Association.  Contact the BCRTA re: starting/continuing Medoc travel health insurance.  Tel: 604-871-2260 or go to
  • Apply to the BCTF for Associate Membership.
  • Contact the Teacher Regulation Branch of the Ministry of Education to see your options regarding maintaining your BC Teacher’s certificate if you intend to teach after retirement.
  • Consider applying for your Canada Pension Plan pension. For information and/or an application kit, visit the CPP website at
  • Consider applying for Old Age Security (OAS). For information and/or application kit, visit the OAS website at
  • Contact the BCTF Income Security staff if you have questions related to any of the above. Tel: 604-871-1921.
  • Between age 55 and 64? Familiarize yourself with the rules and processes for the Early Retirement Incentive Program from the VBE.