The following is a summary description of the governance structure of the VSTA. For complete descriptions refer to the Thirty-first printing of the Constitution & By-Laws 2019 (approved at the November 6, 2019 General Meeting).
Constitution & Bylaws
The Constitution and Bylaws establish the objectives and governance structures of the VSTA and can only be amended by a special resolution submitted at a general meeting and passed by a three-quarters majority of the members present and voting at such meeting.
General Meetings and the Annual General Meeting
The General Meeting (GM) is the sovereign body of the VSTA subject to the constitution, bylaws and policies of the association and to provisions concerning the Annual General Meeting (AGM). Policies established at a general meeting may only be changed or rescinded at a General Meeting.
The Council consists of the Executive Committee and Staff Representatives elected by Association members in each school. Council meets once a month. Any VSTA member may attend and speak at a Council meeting.
The Executive Committee directs and supervises the business and conducts the affairs of the VSTA. The EC meets twice monthly.
The members of the Executive Committee are elected at the AGM, these are:
- First Vice-President
- Second Vice-President
- Members at Large (7 or 8 depending on presence of Past President)
- Local Representatives to the BCTF Representative Assembly (3)
- Past President (for one year, if applicable)
- Health & Safety Committee Chairperson
- Professional Development Committee Chairperson
- Social & Environmental Justice Committee Chairperson
- Technology Committee Chairperson
- Working/Learning Conditions & Bargaining Committee Chairperson
- Aboriginal Chair (open only to a member who identifies as being Aboriginal)
- Teacher On Call Chair
Several Standing Committees are established by the VSTA Constitution and Bylaws. These committees are responsible for conducting some of the affairs of the VSTA and to provide recommendations and advice to the Executive Committee. The members of these standing committees are elected by the general membership at the AGM.