SUPPORT FOR TEACHERS
Employee & Family Assistance Plan (EFAP)
Solutions for your work, health, and life With the increasingly rapid pace of life, it can be challenging to balance your responsibilities at work with your obligations at home. Your Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is a confidential and professional support service for you and your immediate family members offered free of charge to employees with benefits. Let us help you manage all of life’s complexities in a way that is most suited to your preferences, comfort level, and lifestyle.
Accessing your EFAP
- Call 1.844.880.9142 (toll free) for 24/7 access to EFAP services via the Care Access Centre. Our dedicated Intake Specialists can help match you with appropriate service(s) and support. It also acts as a crisis line and will triage calls appropriately. Services are available in English and French.
- Visit www.workhealthlife.com for access to a range of EFAP services, as well as 700+ health/wellness articles, e-Newsletters, and mental health microsites.
- Download the free My EAP mobile device application (Blackberry, Apple, and Android-based devices).
- Your EFAP is completely confidential within the limits of the law. No one, including your employer, will ever know that you have used the program unless you choose to tell them.
The BCTF has paired with Starling Minds to develop an online module to work on “Mental Fitness”. It has been developed especially for teachers and is a completely confidential program based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). Given that at least 40% of teachers struggle with a mental health issue at some point in their career, the goal is to be preventative. The program helps teachers by working on thought patterns and coping strategies to keep us mentally healthy throughout the year.
For more information, see Starling Minds.
Living with Balance
A six-week group program for teachers
This program is initiated by the BCTF Health and Wellness Program and developed by the Occupational Rehabilitation Group. Living with Balance is a group workshop, which runs for two hours once per week. It focuses on developing tools and skills related to improving one’s vitality and resiliency. This holistic approach to wellness will equip teachers to make simple lifestyle changes that will positively affect their physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
This six-week group program will provide opportunities for:
- education, self-evaluation, and examining the importance of maintaining life-style balance
- discussing the importance of nutrition; exercise; sleep
- managing symptoms of low mood, anxiety, and stress; boundaries and managing conflict
- learning strategies that increase awareness of factors that contribute to fluctuations in mood as well as methods to manage them
- reviewing proven techniques used to improve self-esteem and self-confidence, and manage stress and low mood
- defining what work-life balance means to each of us and what happens when our roles collide, having good boundaries is often attributed to having clear values
- discussing how to be intentional, creative and assertive when you need to be
- learning the importance of social connections and community in building long-term wellness, understanding that social isolation is a significant health risk factor.
This program is typically offered in the Spring each year and held at the VSTA Office. This year’s sessions have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.