The BCTF has detailed information on its site for TTOCs navigating the EI claims process.


BCTF Links:

Government of Canada links regarding EI and Teachers:


Employment Insurance Regular Benefit and TTOCs

Q: How much do I earn on EI?
A:  We cannot tell you exactly how much you will receive. However, the basic rate for calculating EI benefits is 55% of your average insurable earnings with maximum insurable earnings set at $56, 300. In 2021, the maximum EI payment is $595 per week or $1,190 bi-weekly.

Q:  What doesn’t EI cover?
A:  EI does not pay extended health or dental premiums, Teachers Pension Plan, or other entitlements.

Q:  Do I need a copy of my Record of Employment to apply for EI?
A:  No, you do not need a copy of your ROE to complete the application.

Q:  Can a member on an active EI claim continue to work?
A:  Yes, a TTOC on an employment insurance claim may continue working. You can keep 50 cents of your benefits for every dollar you earn, up to 90 percent of your previous weekly earnings. Above this cap, your EI benefits are deducted dollar-for-dollar. If you work a full work week, regardless of how much you earn, you will not be eligible to receive EI benefits for that week.

Q:  Are TTOCs who have a part-time contract eligible for EI?
A.  If you have a part-time contract and also work as a TTOC, you may be eligible for EI regular benefits if you have 700 EI insurable hours (~77 full days of employment as a teacher) when you have no work in your position as a TTOC. The amount of your benefit would be impacted by the FTE of your part-time contract.

Q:  Are TTOCs who have not worked 700 hours of EI insurable employment in the previous 52 weeks eligible for EI Regular Benefits?
A.  TTOCs are not be eligible for EI Regular Benefits if they have not worked 700 hours in the previous 52 weeks. However, you may be eligible for EI Sickness Benefits or the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).

Q:  Can TTOCs apply to EI if they are sick or injured?
A:  Yes, TTOCs may apply for EI Sickness Benefit if they are ill and unable to work because of sickness, injury or quarantine. To qualify for EI Sickness Benefit members must:

  • Have a reduction of more than 40% in regular weekly earnings.
  • Have 600 hours of EI insurable employment in the previous 52 weeks from all employment.

*The information on this page is intended to be used only as a guide. The federal government sets the rules, eligibility, and amounts regarding Employment Insurance applications.