The Annual General Meeting will take place on May 18, 2021, and we encourage any and all interested VSTA members to consider nominations for next year’s Executive Committee. These hard-working members provide union representation at the school, district and provincial level. Check out the “job description” below and see if you, or someone you know, might be a great fit for this upcoming opportunity!
The deadline for nominations, candidate statements and candidate photo is APRIL 23, 2021. Click here for nomination form.
Executive Committee member description
This volunteer position is open to any VSTA member. The Executive Committee provides advice to the In-House Table Officers (President/Vice-Presidents) and takes on an active leadership role. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to gain more insight into the workings of their local union and the school board. You may serve as a Local Representative to the BCTF, chair one of the VSTA standing committees (Health & Safety, Indigenous Education, Pro-D, Social & Environmental Justice, Technology, Teachers Teaching On-Call, Working/ Learning Conditions & Bargaining), or be a Member-at-Large.
We ask for the following commitments: attending two Thursday evening meetings a month, going to one annual weekend retreat (usually the 3rd week of September), willingness to attend the BCTF AGM during Spring Break (starts on a Saturday afternoon and ends on the following Tuesday afternoon), sitting on VSB Advisory Committees as well as attending School Union Rep Training (SURT) days during the year.
VSTA In-House Table Officer description (President/Vice-President) Responsibilities:
- Liaising with the Vancouver School Board (Trustees, Senior Management, Standing Committees, Employee Relations, Labour Relations)
- Collective Agreement – enforcement and interpretation, grievances and arbitrations
- Liaising with VESTA, VASSA, BCTF and other local associations
- Member services – Collective Agreement interpretation, discipline, Health & Wellness
- Communications with members
- Supporting Staff Reps & Executive Committee members (especially chairs of Standing Committees)
- Planning SURT & Executive Committee Retreat
- Preparing and circulating agenda for Executive Committee, Council and General Meetings.
- Managing office staff
- Managing the building and the re-development project
- Office hours (8:30-4:30/9:00-5:00)
- Evening meetings (Executive, Council, Board & Committee meetings)
- Weekend meetings (BCTF Functions & Executive Retreat)
- Ability to balance big picture with details
- Willingness to listen and function well as part of a team
- Skilled at creating and maintaining professional relationships
- Good at seeing connections that lead to thinking ahead and predicting, flexibility and taking initiative
- Strong writing and communication skills