Teachers reaching retirement are encouraged to check out the information and links below.
Early Retirement Incentive Program (ERIP)
Pre-Retirement Workshops (BCRTA)
The BC Retired Teachers’ Association (BCRTA) is offering the Making Sense of Pensions & Benefits webinar for teachers across the province to help them plan for a successful transition to retirement. Click here for dates and registration.
Teachers’ Pension Plan
Free Teachers’ Pension Plan Member Education
There’s still time to register for a free member education workshop! If you’re a new member, you can take our eLearning course. Wondering how being a member of the plan, returning from parental leave, getting divorced, transferring service or choosing a pension option could affect your future? Find answers to your pension questions.
Members wondering how important events in their life can affect their future pension
- Making the Most of Your Pension is a 2–hour workshop that can help you maximize your pension by understanding how the decisions you make throughout your career affect your pension when you retire
Members approaching retirement
- Approaching Retirement is a 2–hour workshop designed to help you understand the important decisions you need to make about your pension and make the transition easier
To make sure the workshops are interactive space is limited to 35 seats. They fill up quickly so register early to make sure you attend the date(s) of your choice. If the workshop is full, you can be put on a waitlist. Or, you could take a workshop at an alternative location.
For more information and to register for a workshop, visit tpp.pensionsbc.ca > click Your pension > Pension basics or Planning for retirement.
New and potential members
- Getting to Know Your Pension is a 15-minute eLearning course that will introduce you to the value and benefits of plan membership
To take this eLearning course anywhere, anytime, visit tpp.pensionsbc.ca > click Your pension > Pension basics.
If you have taken the eLearning course and/or attended a workshop, share your experience with your colleagues so they can benefit from learning more about their pension.
Retiring this Year?
- Contact VBE payroll to find out when your current health benefits end to ensure you have continuous coverage until the benefits associated with the Teachers’ Pension Plan begin.
- Consider converting your current group life insurance to an individual life insurance policy.
- Join the BC Retired Teachers’ Association. Contact the BCRTA re: starting/continuing Medoc travel health insurance. There are many advantages to membership, and you can have the annual $40 fee deducted directly from your pension.
- Join the Vancouver Retired Teachers’ Association (VRTA). Currently there is no cost for the first year for NEW members to join the BCRTA, Vancouver branch and R R Smith Foundation, as fees are waived for new members for one year.
- Apply to the BCTF for Associate Membership.
- Contact the Teacher Regulation Branch of the Ministry of Education to see your options regarding maintaining your BC Teacher’s certificate if you intend to teach after retirement.
- At age 60, if you are not working, consider applying for your Canada Pension Plan pension. For an application kit, visit the CPP website.
- At age 65, apply for Old Age Security (OAS). For an application kit, visit the OAS website.
- Contact the BCTF Income Security Staff if you have questions related to any of the above.
Phone: 604-871-1921; toll-free 1-800-663-9163, ext. 1921.
VSTA Retirees’ Dinner
Members retiring in June or who retired earlier in the year are invited, along with one guest, to the annual VSTA Retirees’ Dinner in June. Also invited are VSTA staff reps, standing committee reps and members of the Executive. Invitations are sent to schools early June.
The 2022 Retirees’ Dinner has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.